The objective of the HotGaSys research projects was to develop a compact Hot Gas Particulate Clean-up System. The proposed system consists of an assembled giant honeycomb unit which could reach as much as 3 meters in length and 10 meters in diameter.
Today’s monolithic ceramic honeycomb structures are rarely produced with diameters and length of more than 500 mm. The proposed system consists of an assembled giant honeycomb unit which could reach as much as 3 meters in length and 10 meters in diameter, with as high as 50 m2/m3 (filtration surface/filter volume). The developed system will have the following distinct characteristics compared to similarly sized candle filter systems (typical with 8-12 m2/m3) as well as small one piece honeycomb (monolithic & cross flow with up to 190 m2/m3) filter systems though featuring further:
- Lowering system breakdown based on; 1. Considerable increase in mechanical strength, >25 MPa. 2. Ash bridging eliminated. 3. Lack of thermal stress over the unit structure’s cross section. 4. Reduced dust penetration into the walls.
- Higher operating temperature, as high as 1.000°C based on; pure, non-clay bonded non-oxide ceramics
- Higher plant efficiency based on; 1. Considerably lower pressure drop with filtration efficiency above 99.9%. 2. New applications possible.
- System cost reduction based on; 1. Expected half the system weight for the same filtration area as candle based systems. 2. More than doubling the filtration surface to volume ratio resulting in vessel size reduction. 3. Installation complexity reduced.
- One important feature of the proposed system is the possibility for a built-in catalytic conversion arrangement.
- Stobbe Tech, Denmark
- ABB, Sweden
- CPERI, Greece – apt.cperi.certh.gr
- Cereco, Greece
- CTI, France – ctisa.fr
- Danish Technical University, Denmark – mek.dtu.dk
Title: “Compact Hot Gas Clean-up System for Particulate Removal”
HotGaSys research project was sponsored by the EU commission FP5 Joule 3 / Non-Nuclear Energy Program
Project period: spring 1998 to 2001
|Compare the HotGasSys concept against conventional candle filters and others. How much filter area will be possible to fit inside a vessel example with inside diameter of 4.2 meter and 2 meter high (13.9 m2 cross section). The NGK is a thought example – in practice not possible to manufacture.|
|Material||Cordierite||pure SiC||pure SiC||clay / SiC||Oxide fibers||pure SiC|
|wall thickness, mm||1||2||4||15||20||3|
|Number of cells across the centre line||420||210||105||42||14||42|
|Candle diameter, mm||60||200||60|
|Cell spacing, mm||10||20||40||100||300||100|
|Open side width per square cell, mm||9||18||36|
|Efective filtration surface area per cell, m2||0.018||0.108||0.216||0.284||0.945||0.284|
|Number of substrate cells per m2||10,000||2,500||625||100||11||100|
|Total number of inlet cells / candles||69,458||17,364||4,341||1,389||154||1,389|
|Total effective filtration area, m2||1250||1875||937||393||145||393|
|Specific filtration area, m2 / m3||180||90||45||18.9||7||18.9|
|Cell dimension is depending on type of application, type of particles, gas speed, regeneration / cleaning principle.|